Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mothers Day!


red rose
Although here in Qatar, Mother’s Day is celebrated in March, in conjunction with the UK, we still go by our old tradition and celebrate it on the second Sunday of May. This year it fell on May 11, which is today.

My day was pretty uneventful since today is a working day. My children, specially my eldest son, who by far is also the most sensitive, did wish me a happy Mother’s Day. We do plan to celebrate this weekend. We probably will have dinner at restaurant of my choice and I, being a mom, will choose a place where everyone will be happy.

I am however feeling a bit nostalgic today, since at times like these I miss my family the most. Almost always we celebrated holidays together. We would all gather for dinner, which usually would consist of a barbecue - weather permitting - at either my, my sisters or my mothers home (I make killer Korean short ribs!). But I do find comfort in the fact that we are all well and happy, and are looking forward to seeing one another soon.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

There are many references in the Quran and Hadith (traditions relating to the words and deeds of the Prophet Mohammad) towards parents, and mothers in particular. The following are few that I find particularly moving:

We have ordained humankind to show kindness toward their parents, for in pain their mothers carry them and in pain do they give birth. In thirty months they bear and wean; thus when they attain maturity they may pray, "Lord, inspire us that we may be thankful for the blessings You bestowed upon us and our parents. Kindle within us the desire to do what is upright and pleasing to You. Grant us righteous offspring, Lord. Verily, we turn to You in repentance, surrendering ourselves in earnest”. Al Quran - 46:15

Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him, and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honor. And out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility, and say: ‘My Lord! Bestow on them Thy Mercy as they cherished me in childhood'. Al Quran - 17:23-24

The Prophet Mohammad (may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Your Heaven lies under the feet of your mother”. Hadith - Ahmad, Nasai

A man came to the Prophet and said, "O Messenger of God! Who among the people is the most worthy of my love and kindness? The Prophet said: 'Your mother'. The man said, ‘Then who?' The Prophet said: 'Then your mother'. The man further asked, ‘Then who?' The Prophet said: 'Then your mother'. The man asked again, ‘Then who?' The Prophet said: 'Then your father'. " Hadith - Bukhari, Muslim 8.2

The Prophet said, "The word 'Ar-Rahm' (womb) derives its name from 'Ar-Rahman' (The Compassionate, one of Allah’s names). So whoever keeps good relations with his mother, Allah will keep good relations with him, and whoever will sever it, Allah too will sever His relations with him." Hadith - Bukhari, Muslim 8.18

Happy Mothers Day Mom – see you soon …

No comments: